Everyday I see commercials on TV regarding erectile dysfunction and testosterone boosting formulas. Some I find to be true and some are untrue.
Here are some important facts regarding erectile dysfunction:
- ED is the most common sexual disorder for men affecting 1/3 of all men.
- It is the inability to obtain or maintain an erection for penetration and satisfactory sex.
- Most men believe that ED is caused only by low levels of testosterone. This is untrue, there are many factors that can effect this. These include: social factors and stressors, poor sleep hygiene, poor cardiovascular health, infectious processed, hormone disorders, psychological issues, sexual interest and desire, along with illicit drug use.
- Nitric oxide is quite important to cause vascular engorment to occur.
Another interesting fact: Men that have nocturnal erections, but have ED issues may suggest underlying psychological issues, stress, or fatigue from a multitude of issues.
- Laboratory studies that should be performed:
- Complete lipid (NMR) panel
- Thyroid studies-This includes: TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO, TPA & RT3
- Fasting blood sugar and HGBA1C
- Prostate serum antigen
- Liver function test
- Serum and salivary testosterone levelsUrinalysis